Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Winter Storage

It was such a good Summer for apples last year, I am still checking these Bramleys which I have stored in the garage. They need cold and dark, along with a good circulation of air. Here you can see that I found some wonderful plastic trays in a garden center - just perfect for the job! Another storage success were these Winter squash. On the left was an acorn squash 'Table Queen' and on the right was 'Delicata' which is also known as a sweet potato squash. Both of them had a wonderful firm sweet texture. I have several more of each of these and they are wonderful keepers! Many thanks to Petunias Garden who gave me these seeds during a visit to Washington State in 2007.
I saved some of my smaller shallots 'Pikant' from last year's harvest. They kept wonderfully well hung up in a dry shed in this sack - actually it's one of my late Father's string vests with the bottom sown up!! perfect for the job.

8 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

I remember those string vests...that is really taking the reduce, reuse, recycle idea to heart!your garden produce is lasting well through winter

 
At 2:07 AM, Blogger Mr. H. said...

Hello,

I've enjoyed reading your blog, your purple broccoli is beautiful. We also grow and store Delicata squash, They are most tasty in the winter months.

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Dan said...

I'm going to grow more storage vegetable this year. I am definitely going to try that Delicata squash and if I am lucky I can do a trade for the seed. Looking for any seed?

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Hi Matron, thats a great idea for a string vest. I didn't know you could store apples all on top of each other like that. I don't bother wrapping them or anything but I always try and keep them from touching. Bob.

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately my garage isn't frost free so my poor squash all started to rot prematurely. This weekend will see the last ( and biggest)of the Rouge Vif D'Etampes dismembered and roasted. At least it forced me to do something with them. Lovely squash but just too big for us.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger VP said...

I'm a great fan of Pikant too :)

I got some similar trays when Littlewoods closed - £1 each bargain!

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Anna said...

Those blue trays are just the job. I was given half a dozen or so by an allotment neighbour, and they come in handy for a number of purposes. I am going to ask my dad whether he has any old string vests.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Your Bramley's look great and have stored brilliantly. We plant two cookers this year and hope for your success!
Rob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>