Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Garden Mysteries..

Can anyone help me and identify this plant please? It was given to me as a tiny seedling by a friend who planted the seeds out of a packet which should have been purple de Milpa tomatillos... which it obviously isn't. Clearly it is related to celery. The leaves taste of celery but in a very aromatic, possibly citrus way. The stalks are completely round and not celery shaped. I am thinking perhaps it might be Parcel, or Hamburgh parsley, or some kind of leaf celery. Any thoughts?
Another mystery to solve. Last year I saved some seed from a Sungold cherry tomato. These are an F1 hybrid so I was expecting something slightly different, but... they will not ripen! They have sat in this green/gold state for about 5 weeks now. All other tomatoes around them in the greenhouse are ripening fine. I have even picked about a dozen and sat them in the kitchen among all the other ripening tomatoes for about 4 weeks .... they do not ripen!! They still taste green, why are they not ripening.. anyone?

11 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger Kath said...

The mystery plant look like my Lovage. It tastes strongly of celery but it eventually grows HUGE. In its first year it didn't but once it had made itself at home - it now grows taller than me and I'm 5ft 9". The stms are hollow when the plant has flowered - yellow umbles, really nice. Stand back!

As to the toms - I don't know! I've got some sungold offspring too but they aren't as far advanced as yours. Have you just got the one plant?

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Eliane said...

Could it be lovage?

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mystery plant might be Lovage.
Perhaps you've discovered a new variety that ripens to green/yellow - Palegold!

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Sorry Matron I can't solve the tomato mystery. But I think the plant in the top photo may be Lovage.

Celia

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Scarecrow said...

Ha!
I was going to suggest Lovage too!

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Veg Heaven - I have a few Sungold plants indoors and out, they are all the same hmmm.
I had a google last night for Lovage, yes that looks like it though apparently it is a bit of a thug and hard to get rid of. I might try to transplant it to a quiet corner of the patch where it won't be a nuisance.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Matron, I have cutting celery that looks the same but darker in color which makes me think that it is Lovage! They really are very similar ~ round hollow stems also. I never knew they were so much alike.

What do people use lovage for? The leaves for flavoring?

 
At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like Lovage to me too. A perennial herb tasting like celery but with a more lemony musky/earthy taste. I find it quite over powering as a herb so I use it sparingly goes great with beetroot and in soups.

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matron
When plants are ripening they produce a chemical called Ethylene. I suggest that you place one or two of the tomatoes in a brown paper bag with other fruit that is ripening and see if that helps.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Hmmm this is still a mystery, 3 weeks later when all around them are ripening, they are still this mid green/orange colour. Have tried picking some and putting them next to ripe ones. Tried everything - can only assume that as I saved seed myself that they have reverted to something strange. Have decided to make green tomato chutney tomorrow!

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger lilymarlene said...

My first thought was Lovage....then I saw all the comments.......! Great minds.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>